This article is part of our series: The Logitech G27 Racing Wheel for Casual Racing Gamers. Here, we will cover setting up your G27 racing wheel to play Split Second. Split Second is an original title published by Disney Interactive Studios and developed by Black Rock Studio. Split Second is a purely arcade racer with a penchant for exploding tracks.
Solid Tip: Looking for G27 drivers or Logitech Profiler software? Get it here.
|Logitech G27 Solid Series Articles|
|1. Casual Gamer vs Simulation Gamer||11. Test Drive Unlimited|
|2. Setting Up Your G27, Made Easy||12. Test Drive Unlimited 2|
|3. Need For Speed: Carbon||13. Burnout Paradise|
|4. Need For Speed: Pro Street||14. Race Driver: GRID|
|5. Need For Speed: Undercover||15. Split Second|
|6. Need For Speed: Shift||16. GTR Evolution|
|7. Need For Speed: Shift 2||17. DiRT 2|
|8. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit||18. DiRT 3|
|9. Need For Speed: The Run||19. Blur|
|10. Need for Speed: Most Wanted|
Sadly, Split Second is a disaster with the G27. A game that has the potential to be a lot of fun gets 3 strikes right off the bat.
1. There is no force feedback support, which is its worst offense. You will have no resistence in the wheel while driving. The game is only designed to use gamepad rumble features. It’s a game published by Disney so I didn’t expect much. This version tested is 1.0.0, which means there might be a patch released, but we’ve seen how that turns out (I’m looking at you, Test Drive Unlimited). You cannot override this using any setting. You will, however, feel the occassional rumble when you run into something, due to the rubmle pad support.
2. There is no handbrake and no shifting… period. No H-shifter, no paddles, no clutch. I know it’s an arcade racer, but every other title out there lets you choose automatic or manual. At least give people the option.
3. You cannot map half the G27 buttons in the controls. The game’s limited control scheme apparently only support’s DirectInput buttons up to #16. This means that 7 buttons cannot be assigned. 4 of these buttons are on the wheel itself. Worse yet, the 2 remaining buttons dont work correctly. If you look below at the control screen, I have 7 and 8 set to ‘Powerplay’ level 1 and 2. However, button 8 fires both of these and button 7 pauses the game. Thankfully, there are not many other actions to worry about.
Split Second G27 Settings
- Open the Logitech Profiler
- Select New > Profile
- Add splitsecond.exe as a new game.
- Open Specific Game Settings
- Ignore ‘Special Force Feedback Device Settings’
- Check ‘Report Combined Pedals.’
- Set Degrees of Rotation to Taste
- Ignore ‘Use Special Game Settings’
- Play Split Second, switch keyboard to Joypad 0
- Map controls to buttons 1,2,3,4,7,8,16, and Dpad.