This article is part of our series: The Logitech G27 Racing Wheel for Casual Racing Gamers. Here, we will cover setting up your G27 racing wheel to play Split Second. Split Second is an original title published by Disney Interactive Studios and developed by Black Rock Studio. Split Second is a purely arcade racer with a penchant for exploding tracks.
Solid Tip: Looking for G27 drivers or Logitech Profiler software? Get it here.
|Logitech G27 Solid Series Articles|
|1. Casual Gamer vs Simulation Gamer||11. Test Drive Unlimited|
|2. Setting Up Your G27, Made Easy||12. Test Drive Unlimited 2|
|3. Need For Speed: Carbon||13. Burnout Paradise|
|4. Need For Speed: Pro Street||14. Race Driver: GRID|
|5. Need For Speed: Undercover||15. Split Second|
|6. Need For Speed: Shift||16. GTR Evolution|
|7. Need For Speed: Shift 2||17. DiRT 2|
|8. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit||18. DiRT 3|
|9. Need For Speed: The Run||19. Blur|
|10. Need for Speed: Most Wanted|
Sadly, Split Second is a disaster with the G27. A game that has the potential to be a lot of fun gets 3 strikes right off the bat.
1. There is no force feedback support, which is its worst offense. You will have no resistence in the wheel while driving. The game is only designed to use gamepad rumble features. It’s a game published by Disney so I didn’t expect much. This version tested is 1.0.0, which means there might be a patch released, but we’ve seen how that turns out (I’m looking at you, Test Drive Unlimited). You cannot override this using any setting. You will, however, feel the occassional rumble when you run into something, due to the rubmle pad support.
2. There is no handbrake and no shifting… period. No H-shifter, no paddles, no clutch. I know it’s an arcade racer, but every other title out there lets you choose automatic or manual. At least give people the option.
3. You cannot map half the G27 buttons in the controls. The game’s limited control scheme apparently only support’s DirectInput buttons up to #16. This means that 7 buttons cannot be assigned. 4 of these buttons are on the wheel itself. Worse yet, the 2 remaining buttons dont work correctly. If you look below at the control screen, I have 7 and 8 set to ‘Powerplay’ level 1 and 2. However, button 8 fires both of these and button 7 pauses the game. Thankfully, there are not many other actions to worry about.
Split Second G27 Settings
- Open the Logitech Profiler
- Select New > Profile
- Add splitsecond.exe as a new game.
- Open Specific Game Settings
- Ignore ‘Special Force Feedback Device Settings’
- Check ‘Report Combined Pedals.’
- Set Degrees of Rotation to Taste
- Ignore ‘Use Special Game Settings’
- Play Split Second, switch keyboard to Joypad 0
- Map controls to buttons 1,2,3,4,7,8,16, and Dpad.
how do i open a new profile for split second? is it through my ps3 or my laptop?
my g27 installer is in my laptop?
Hi newgamer77, thanks for stopping by. The G27 article series here is for the PC. The Logitech Profiler software is actually only for use on the PC. For the Playstation 3, there is no installation required.
However, that means you have to rely on the game being properly made to handle it. If Split Second on the PS3 is anything like PC, then there is no support for it. You can see the G27 supported games list here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/265/6475 It doesn’t list the game for PS3 or PC, but who knows how updated it is.
Hey. I just bought myself split second. I used/still love burnout, but when they left out the split screen I was crushed. Then I heard about split second. Finally, a real game with split screen. I was so happy, and I couldn’t wait to play it with my friends. I took my logitech Gt and connected it to my ps3. I was set to play, and I couldn’t wait to press down the pedal for full speed. However, the car wouldn’t move. I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I found out that the logitech didn’t work!!! So my question is, is there any way that I can fix it? Can I change any settings so that the pedals work?!
Frustrated – I think everyone is frustrated with Split Second. When you say GT are you referring to the Logitech Driving Force GT rather than the G27 wheel?
I have been active in the Logitech community and I know their representative said to always always make sure on the PS3 that the wheel is assigned to controller #1. Beyond this, various games should allow you to map the controls in the options menu. For example, you might assign L2/R2 to paddle shifters. This ONLY works when game developers build the functionality into the game (and they primarily care about getting it working with a gamepad).
That being said, when pedals are not functioning, it’s always the same issue on the PC. They need to be reported as ‘combined pedals.’ I am not sure, however, if this is a consideration that PS3 G27 users need to worry about.
Hi SolidlyStated – first off thank you for your guide. I wish every racing game programmer would work with Logitech to ensure compatibility – this would save us all a lot of time!
Unfortunately I purchased this game without first checking compatibility with my G25. I followed your directions but when I go into the control menu to set the keys I have to turn the wheel 90 degrees to prevent cycling through the Joypad0 presets – basically the steering wheel centering is off. I’ve tested other games and they work fine. Do you know of a way to specify a center for the wheel for a specific game with the Profiler?
Thanks in advance.
Sure Smo, that’s an easy fix. Step #6- “Report Combined Pedals” needs to be checked. If its not checked the control menu will auto scroll unless you turn the wheel.
It’s a common issue with other games too. If your menu’s scroll by themselves, you need to check that option.
The good news is you didn’t buy Blur without checking first! At least Split Second supports basic wheel usage. Blur is a total loss.
Thanks! Keep up the great work!
ola tudo de bom com vcs galera Bem acabei de Compra Meu g 27 EO NFS Shift 2 mAs nao ESTOU conseguido configura Tipo o volante ESTA Muito leve ta respondendo muito atrasado e quando vai vira ele vira UMA de uma vez e no reto mesmo tirando a sensibilidade ele fica pra la e pra ca daria pra vcs passar a configuraçao exato do volante Por Favor Tipo A porcentagem do Jogo e ta la ne Sensibilidade di Direção ai ta uma porcentagem POR favor me ajudem ha sim continuem com o otimo Trabalho muito bom mesmo vcs abraços
Hallo. i have bin playing Split/Second for a long time using eather gamepad or keyboard. I have a setup using my G27 but i cant help to notic thet the controles feel diffrent in a bad way. the problem occurs when ever i try to drift corners. I can feel the gas pedal releasing when ever i turn my wheel. Much like having to use 1 analogue stick to controle all of the cars movements. If you can imagine that having to drift in this manner would require you to pull the stick back to break and quickly push it up to accelerate and then turn the stick in the direction you want to drift. that Means your cant really speed up while turning. Has any one eles noticed this or found a solution? I can confirm that its not my setup since i have 2 right next to eachother for lan purpose.
How did this guy NOT notice the HUGE deadzone that makes this impossible to play unless you turn the wheel rotation down so far it’s almost pointless?